It has been a while since we did a blog post about food! But now I think it is time to try to start that again. It is a new year and a chance to try something new. So why not try to make your own tortellini 🙂 It is fun and you can make a lot at the same time.
This pasta sauce is so easy to make, but it is so delicious. This is a pasta dish which will make you love every bite and wish you could go on eating for days 🙂
We had this with tricolore pasta, which is pasta that looks like the Italian flag: green, white, and red! The green pasta was spinach pasta, the white pasta was regular pasta, and the red pasta was beetroot pasta. Continue reading
A new year and a new pasta dish 🙂
We both love filled pasta and although it takes some time to make it is worth spending some time in the kitchen when the finished pasta is so good. We have been making our own pasta for a year now and homemade, fresh pasta is always so much better than bought pasta (even fresh pasta from shops). It is also so much fun to do together so, if you have the time, invest in a pasta machine and make your own 🙂
We used 2 different ways of folding the tortellini in this recipe and the inspiration for the second example is taken from the cookbook “Simply Italian, Cooking at Home with the Chiappa Sisters”.
Ingredients Serves 4
Cooking time: 1 h 15 mins
- 300 g durum flour
- 4 eggs (1 for the filling)
- 125 g fresh spinach
- 50 g parmesan
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbs bread crumbs
- 15 vine tomatoes
- 1 courgette
- 25 g butter
- 50 ml cream
- truffle oil
- To make the pasta, see the steps here.
- To make the filling for your tortellini:
- Put 2 cloves of garlic, the spinach, 1 egg and the parmesan in a food processor and blend until it is finely chopped.
- Add the bread crumbs to the mixture and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the courgette in small cubes.
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic.
- Fry the courgette and garlic in some butter in a frying pan for 5-10 mins.
- Cut the vine tomatoes in smaller pieces. Add them to the courgette in the frying pan and fry for another minute.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat while you do the tortellini.
- Roll out your pasta sheets using a pasta machine or by hand.
- Cut out 5 cm circles of the pasta sheets. (You can use a cup to do this.)
- Don’t cut too many circles at once because they will dry out quickly.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in each circle (if you have too much filling it will be difficult to fold the tortellini) and fold the tortellini as follows:
- Fold the circle in half to make a half-moon shape.
2. Squeeze the edges together tightly and flatten the half-moon shape. If the dough is too dry to seal, put some water around the edge of the circle.
3. Fold the two ends together to form a ring. Make sure you firmly squeeze the ends together,
4. Fold down the top part of the tortellini to give it a nice shape.
- You can also try to fold your tortellini in this way:
- Fold one side of the circle to the middle.
2. Do the same thing with the other side. This side should slightly overlap the first side.
3. Begin to pinch the circle together, starting at the end of the folded part of the circle.
4. Continue pinching the circle together all the way to the top.
- Let your tortellini dry for 10 mins on a drying rack, that makes the tortellini hold its shape when you boil it.
- Boil the tortellini for 3-4 mins in salted water in a large saucepan.
- Turn on the heat again for your courgette and tomatoes.
- Add some salt, pepper and truffle oil.
- Add the cream and let it simmer on a low heat until your tortellini is ready.
- Place some tortellini on a plate and add the sauce.
- Serve with a light salad.
Creamy pasta sauces are really delicious and quite filling; perfect after a training session or as any meal! We use the base of this sauce quite regularly and add different ingredients, such as cheese, broccoli, and onion, among others, but today we used spinach. 🙂
After buying a second bag of spinach when they were on offer, we needed to use it, but wanted to try something new. So we thought why not make some green burgers that are actually green in colour! Continue reading
Like you all know by now, we love pasta :). Today we made pasta sheets and used them to make cannelloni. The weather right now in Sweden isn’t very inspirational and it has been dark outside for weeks. It is at these times you just want hearty food, real comfort food to help pick your mood up a little bit. This is the perfect dish to do just that. The result was delicious! Continue reading
In the past we have tried to make different types of vegetarian burgers. In this recipe we have used few ingredients, but they all give lots of flavour and good texture to the burger. They are very quick to make since we use a food processor to mix the ingredients and then the burgers only need to fry for a few minutes on each side. What adds to your cooking time is if you make your own buns. We have put up a recipe on the blog that we use when we make buns.
We normally make all our bread ourselves since we want to know what is in the bread. When you make your own bread you use very few ingredients and you know there is no added sugar or other strange ingredients.
Ingredients Serves 6
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 3 medium pre-cooked beetroots
- 250 g chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 red onion
- 150 ml flour
- 200 ml oats
- 1 egg
- 10-15 coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- spinach leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 6 buns
- If you are making your own buns, see the steps here. (Remember that making your own buns will add to the overall cooking time.)
- Mix the beetroots, chickpeas, 1 onion, garlic, half the flour, half the oats, 1 egg and coriander leaves together in a food processor. (If you don’t use a food processor you need to chop the ingredients finely).
- Put the mix in a bowl and stir in the rest of the flour and oats.
- Mix in the lemon juice and the salt and pepper.
- Split the mix into 6 pieces. The mix will feel very loose and sticky, but it will hold together once cooking,
- Shape the pieces into balls and put them in a frying pan.
- Flatten the balls with a spatula.
- Fry them for a few minutes on each side.
- After they are done, put them on a plate.
- Chop the rest of the onion, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
- Put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice, salt and pepper to make a nice salsa.
- Take a bun and cut it in half.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the inside of each piece of bread.
- Put the beetroot burger on the bottom piece.
- Put some spinach leaves on top of the burger and the top piece of the bun.
- Serve the burger with the salsa.