Like we said in our mid-week post, we bought some different vegetables this week, one of which being asparagus. We have previously used asparagus to make a delicious egg and asparagus ravioli, but with it being winter, and us being fairly tired, we wanted to make a simple (yet delicious) soup. Continue reading
Ramen is a Korean and Japanese noodle soup dish. You use a broth as a base and flavour it with soy sauce or miso. We love eating noodle soup and this is an easy soup to make, but it tastes delicious and it’s the perfect soup to make now that autumn is upon us.
Ingredients Serves 4
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 275 g fine flour
- half a teaspoon sea salt
- 100 ml warm water
- 250 g tofu
- 2 cloves of garlic
- half a chili
- 100 g fresh spinach
- 5 spring onions
- 1-1.5 litres vegetable stock
- sesame oil
- 2 table spoons Japanese soy sauce
- sesame seeds (toasted)
- Mix the salt and the warm water, and gradually add it to the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Knead the dough for at least 10 min until smooth and elastic. You might need to add extra water. Put it in clingfilm to rest for 30 min or longer.
- Cut the tofu in smaller pieces. Fry them in sesame oil until golden and crispy.
- Prepare the soup. Chop the chili, garlic and spring onions. Fry them in sesame oil in a deep saucepan for 5 mins.
- Add the vegetable stock and the soy sauce and let it simmer while you roll out the noodles.
- Cut the dough in 2 pieces.
- Sprinkle flour on a wooden surface.
- Roll out one piece using a rolling pin until the dough is 2-3 mm thick.
- Roll the dough to form a tube.
- Use a sharp tool to cut the tube into strips, 5 mm wide.
- Roll out the strips and put the noodles in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some corn flour on top and mix to keep the noodles from sticking together.
- Repeat with the other piece of dough. You need to cook the noodles right away to keep them from becoming dry.
- Cook the noodles in salted water in a large saucepan for 3 min.
- Add the spinach to your soup and turn off the heat.
- Strain the noodles and serve them in a bowl.
- Pour some of the soup on top of the noodles.
- Add some fried pieces of tofu on top and sprinkle some sesame seeds over the soup.