This pie is extremely simple to make and incredibly delicious. Jason’s mum used to make him this type of pie when he lived in England and today he wanted that again 🙂 You can use whichever type of onion you like; leek, spring onion, red onion, and so on. The same goes for the cheese, but a mature cheese has more flavour. Continue reading
A quick and easy pie full of flavour. Ready-made pastry makes this meal quick to prepare and cook. Served best with a fresh salad.
Ingredients Serves 6
Cooking time: 40 mins
- Pack of ready-made filo pastry
- 150 g spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 medium/large tomatoes
- 125 g mozzarella
- 80 g hard cheese (such as cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Set the oven to 175°C
- Chop the garlic and onion, and fry on a medium heat with the spinach, until soft.
- Chop the mozzarella and tomatoes, and grate the hard cheese.
- Place two layers of filo pastry in a small oven-proof dish, allowing the pastry to overhang the dish (to be folded on top later).
- Mix the egg and brush onto the uppermost layer of pastry.
- Place another layer of pastry on top.
- Add the filling.
- Place two layers of filo pastry on top of the filling, ensuring to tuck it in on the sides.
- Brush with egg.
- Place one more layer on top and fold in the overhanging pastry.
- Brush some more egg on top, and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.