We wanted to make some bread this weekend and decided to try to make some with caraway seeds. We tried a new method, we let our dough rise over night in the fridge. The bread was delicious!
In the past we have tried to make different types of vegetarian burgers. In this recipe we have used few ingredients, but they all give lots of flavour and good texture to the burger. They are very quick to make since we use a food processor to mix the ingredients and then the burgers only need to fry for a few minutes on each side. What adds to your cooking time is if you make your own buns. We have put up a recipe on the blog that we use when we make buns.
We normally make all our bread ourselves since we want to know what is in the bread. When you make your own bread you use very few ingredients and you know there is no added sugar or other strange ingredients.
Ingredients Serves 6
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 3 medium pre-cooked beetroots
- 250 g chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 red onion
- 150 ml flour
- 200 ml oats
- 1 egg
- 10-15 coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- spinach leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 6 buns
- If you are making your own buns, see the steps here. (Remember that making your own buns will add to the overall cooking time.)
- Mix the beetroots, chickpeas, 1 onion, garlic, half the flour, half the oats, 1 egg and coriander leaves together in a food processor. (If you don’t use a food processor you need to chop the ingredients finely).
- Put the mix in a bowl and stir in the rest of the flour and oats.
- Mix in the lemon juice and the salt and pepper.
- Split the mix into 6 pieces. The mix will feel very loose and sticky, but it will hold together once cooking,
- Shape the pieces into balls and put them in a frying pan.
- Flatten the balls with a spatula.
- Fry them for a few minutes on each side.
- After they are done, put them on a plate.
- Chop the rest of the onion, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
- Put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice, salt and pepper to make a nice salsa.
- Take a bun and cut it in half.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the inside of each piece of bread.
- Put the beetroot burger on the bottom piece.
- Put some spinach leaves on top of the burger and the top piece of the bun.
- Serve the burger with the salsa.