Beetroot pasta works great with all pasta dishes. It also adds a nice bit of colour to the plate.
Ingredients Serves 2
Preparation time: 45 mins
- 1 egg
- 75 g beetroots (cooked)
- 150 g flour
The beetroot replaces one of the eggs you would normally have when making plain pasta.
Making the dough:.
- Cook the beetroots until soft.
- Peel the beetroots.
- Cut the beetroots in half and put them in a food processor.
- Add 1 egg and some salt.
- Mix the beetroots and egg well.
- Put the flour on a (preferably wooden) surface, forming a ring.
- Put the egg and beetroot mix into the centre of the ring.
- Using a fork, start mixing the egg and beetroot mix into some of the flour.
- Once the egg and beetroot are incorporated use your hands to knead the dough.
- Knead until the dough is fully mixed; it should hold its shape and feel moist but not sticky. Don’t worry if all the flour hasn’t been absorbed into the mixture.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to rest at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes.
For information on rolling the pasta, see our pasta guide.