These buns are delicious and are great for everything from little sandwiches to big burgers.
Ingredients Serves 4-8 buns
Preparation time: 45-60 mins (the longer you leave it to rise, the better)
- 25 g yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 250 ml luke-warm water
- 400 g flour (we usually use whole wheat flour)
- Olive oil or 1 egg (optional)
- Set oven to 225°C
Making the dough:
- Break the yeast into small pieces into a mixing bowl, and add the salt and olive oil.
- Stir in the luke-warm water with a wooden spoon until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. (The water should be luke warm to help the yeast activate.)
- Add the flour a little bit at a time and mix with the wooden spoon.
- Knead the dough until all the flour is incorporated (add more flour if the mixture is too sticky). The dough should be loose and slightly sticky.
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the mixture.
- Put a tea towel over the bowl and leave the dough to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
Cooking the buns:
- Sprinkle some flour onto a (preferably wooden) work surface.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and place on the work surface.
- Knead the dough with your hands for about 5 mins, adding more flour if needed.
- Separate the dough into 4-8 pieces and shape the pieces into flattish balls.
- Brush the top of the buns with olive oil or an egg. This is optional, but it gives the buns a nice glaze.
- Optionally, sprinkle some seeds or sea salt on top.
- Cook the buns in the oven for 10 mins.