It has been a while since we did a blog post about food! But now I think it is time to try to start that again. It is a new year and a chance to try something new. So why not try to make your own tortellini 🙂 It is fun and you can make a lot at the same time.
Sure, it will take some time but I promise you it will be worth it. When you buy ready-made tortellini you can’t control what goes in it. That is true for most ready-made products and that is why making your own feels so much better. Hopefully it won’t be something you make every day and then it might be OK to spend some extra time on the food this time.
We made a sauce with crème fraîche for the tortellini, but it would also go really well with a tomato sauce or even a cheese sauce!
Ingredients Serves 4
Cooking time: 60 mins
- 300 g durum flour (for the pasta dough)
- 3 eggs (for the pasta dough)
- 200 g spinach
- 250 g ricotta
- 250 ml crème fraîche
- half an onion
- paprika powder
- To make your own pasta, see the steps here.
- Set the pasta dough aside and do your filling.
- Mix the fresh spinach and the ricotta in a food processor or with a hand blender.
- Add salt and pepper to the mixture.
- Take a piece of the pasta dough and roll it out, use a pasta machine or a rolling pin. Don’t roll out too much of the pasta dough at a time since the pasta will dry up and then it is difficult to shape the pasta.
- The pasta sheet needs to be fairly thin.
- Cut out circles using a small cup or a cutter.
- Place a small amount of the filling in the middle of the circle.
- Fold the circle in half over the filling and press down the edges. It is important that they are definitely sealed so the filling won’t leak out of the tortellini when you boil them.
- Continue to fold the tortellini according to the steps in the pictures.
11. Repeat steps 5-10 with the rest of the pasta dough.
12. Let the tortellini rest for 15 mins before cooking them, then they will hold their shape better.
13. Boil the tortellini in salted water for 3-4 mins.
14. Chop the onion finely.
15. Fry the onion until it is soft.
16. Add the crème fraîche, paprika powder, salt and pepper and let it cook for a few mins.
17. Drain your tortellini and mix them with the sauce.
18. Serve the tortellini with some salad.