These cupcakes are very fresh and perfect for a summer party! The lemon sponge works really well with the butter icing, and the strawberries give a really nice sweetness. Maybe you will want to cancel your summer party when you try them and keep them all for yourself!
Ingredients Serves 12
Cooking time: 1 h 30 mins
- 120 g flour
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 40 g butter
- 120 ml milk
- 1 egg
To decorate the cupcakes:
- sugar paste
- food colouring (green)
- 10 strawberries
- butter icing – see ingredients below
For the icing:
- 100 g butter
- 250 ml icing sugar
- Set oven to 170°C
- Start by making the leaves that will be used to decorate the cupcakes. They need to dry before you put them on the cupcakes.
- Take a piece of sugar paste.
- Mix a few drops of the food colouring with the sugar paste.
- Roll out the sugar paste until 2-3 mm thick.
- Make sure the sugar paste does not stick to the surface, use icing sugar to dust it if it does.
- Use a cutter or a sharp knife and cut out leaves.
- Let the leaves dry on a drying rack. (Leave over night.)
- Use an electric whisk and mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and butter until you get a sandy consistancy and everything is mixed.
- Pour in the milk a little at a time and mix until smooth.
- Add the egg and mix again until smooth.
- Place 12 paper cases in a cupcake tray.
- Spoon the mix into the paper cases until they are two-thirds full.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Mix the icing sugar and butter for the icing together.
- Beat the mix until it is light and fluffy.
- When the cupcakes are cool, use an icing bag and pipe the icing, or use a spoon and place the icing on top.
- Cut the strawberries.
- Place 3 pieces of strawberries on top of the icing on each cupcake.
- Put a small amount of icing where the strawberries meet and then add 3 leaves next to the strawberries.