This is a very easy but delicious dish that we have made as a starter, but you could eat it as a main dish as well.
Ingredients Serves 4
Cooking time: 1 hr
- 1 kg aubergine
- 300 g mozzarella
- 100 g parmesan
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin tomatoes
- olive oil
- Set oven to 180°C
- Slice the aubergine in thin slices (half a cm).
- Place the sliced aubergine on a plate. Sprinkle the aubergine with salt and cover them with kitchen paper.
- Add another layer on top and place kitchen paper on top.
- Put something heavy on the aubergine to let the juice from the aubergine out. Leave for 30 mins.
- Chop the onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Fry the onion and garlic with some olive oil in a sauce pan.
- Add the tomatoes and the tin tomatoes and boil on a low heat for at least 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- After 20 minutes, mix the tomato sauce with a mixer or blender until smooth.
- Fry the aubergine slices in a frying pan with some olive oil.
- Fry the aubergine until it is golden brown on both sides.
- Grate the parmesan.
- Slice the mozzarella.
- Cover 4 baking dishes with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Add a few slices of the aubergine and pour some tomato sauce on top to cover the aubergine. If you want you can have multiple layers of aubergine.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top and then generously add the grated parmesan.
- Cook in the oven for 30 mins until golden brown.