These crunchy granola bars are perfect as an afternoon snack before training or as something that will give you some energy (and carbohydrates) straight after training.
The bars can also be eaten as an afternoon snack when you need extra energy or in the morning to get you started. It is important to have a regular intake of energy to ensure that your blood sugar is constant. If you don’t, you might feel fatigued. The risk is then that you eat something unhealthy just to get that extra energy fast.
These bars can be kept for 2 weeks in the fridge or 3 days in room temperature. You can even freeze them and keep them for months.
Ingredients Serves 16
Cooking time: 40 mins (plus time to cool)
- 750 ml rolled oats
- 300 ml puffed cereal or rice (we used buckwheat puffs)
- 120 ml brown sugar
- 75 ml honey
- 3 tbs water
- 60 ml coconut oil or vegetable oil (we used coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Set oven to 175°C
- Put the rolled oats on a baking tray and roast them for 10 minutes. Stir the oats after 5 mins, so they roast evenly.
- Put the oats in a large bowl and reduce the oven temperature to 160°C.
- Add the puffed cereal to the oats.
- Mix honey, water, oil, salt and brown sugar in a saucepan. Heat the mixture on a low heat until fully dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add the cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture on the oats and puffed cereal. Mix with a spatula.
- Take a 30 cm baking tray and line it with some baking paper.
- Pour the mixture in the tray and press down firmly. The mixture should be spread out evenly on the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Let it cool completely in the tray or on a wire rack.
- When it is completely cool, transfer it to a cutting board and cut into 16 bars.
- Wrap them individually in cling film.