This stir-fry is really simple, yet so nourishing and delicious! We love tofu, and the sticky tofu from this recipe is one of our favourite ways to make tofu. This dish is full of protein and carbohydrates, so is a great meal post workout, or just as a dish to keep you going during the week.
We fry our vegetables just in sesame oil, but you can add soy sauce if you wish. We find the sauce from the tofu is enough. Obviously you can add or remove vegetables as well, we sometimes do this with broccoli and spring onions as well. 🙂
Ingredients Serves 6
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 2 cups of rice (or enough for 6 people, depending on how much rice you typically eat)
- 500 g tofu
- sesame oil
- 100 ml hoisin sauce
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 red onion
- 150 g edamame beans
- 3 eggs (optional – don’t include for vegans)
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 g white cabbage
- Cook the rice.
- Put the edamame beans in a large saucepan filled with water and bring to the boil.
- Drain the edamame beans and squeeze the beans out from the pods.
- Peel and chop the carrots, and chop the cabbage.
- Fry the carrots and cabbage in some sesame oil until soft. (Once soft, put to one side.)
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Fry the onion and garlic in some sesame oil until soft. (Once soft, put to one side.)
- Mix all the fried vegetables and edamame beans.
- Chop the tofu into large pieces.
- Fry the tofu on a high heat in some sesame oil, toss regularly until the sides become firm/crispy.
- Add the hoisin sauce to the tofu and fry for 5 mins.
- Add the sesame seeds and stir.
- Mix the eggs in a bowl, and cook on a high heat (to make an omelette). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once cooked, slice the omelette into pieces.
- Serve some rice in each bowl, add the vegetables, tofu, and some eggs on top.