Creamy pasta sauces are really delicious and quite filling; perfect after a training session or as any meal! We use the base of this sauce quite regularly and add different ingredients, such as cheese, broccoli, and onion, among others, but today we used spinach. 🙂
We also made spinach pasta for this meal, to really get even more nutrients…oh and it’s delicious too! 😀 You need to have a stringy pasta that can hold the sauce – if you make the sauce thick, use a thicker pasta (such as pappardelle or tagliatelle), and if you make the sauce thinner (like this sauce), use a thinner pasta (such as spaghetti, linguine, or cappellini).
We also added toasted walnuts on top, but you could always skip them or use pine nuts.
Ingredients Serves 4
Cooking time: 45 mins (if making your own pasta, otherwise 20 mins)
- 300 g flour (if making your own pasta)
- 3 eggs (if making your own pasta) (We substituted 1 egg for 100 g fresh spinach leaves, to make spinach pasta as well.)
- 300 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 100 g spinach
- 30 g walnuts
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- If you are making your own pasta, see the steps here. We made 100 g flour (with 1 egg) of plain pasta, and 200 g flour (with 1 egg and 100 g fresh spinach leaves) of spinach pasta. To make spinach pasta, see the steps here.
- Toast the walnuts in a frying pan on a medium-high heat for a few mins.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and stir until smooth.
- Let the butter mixture boil on a low heat for a few mins (this takes away the taste of the flour).
- Add the cream and milk, and stir regularly. Let the sauce simmer on a low heat for at least 10 mins.
- Add salt and pepper to suit tastes.
- Add the spinach leaves.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan in salted water.
- Drain the pasta and put it back in the saucepan with some olive oil.
- Mix the sauce into the pasta and serve on a plate.
- Add some salt and pepper, a dash of olive oil, and a sprinkle of the toasted walnuts.