For Christmas Eve dinner we made a vegetarian pie. Like we wrote in the previous post, Swedish Christmas food is a lot of meat and not many vegetables. We eat a lot of different types of cabbage in Sweden though and in this recipe we used kale. The pie is very quick and easy to make and we think that even meat eaters would love it on their Christmas table! 🙂
Ingredients Serves 8
Cooking time: 1 h 10 mins
- 300 g flour
- 125 g butter
- 2 tsp cold water
- 250 g fresh kale
- 2 red onions
- 200 ml cheese
- 200 ml full-fat cream
- 100 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml walnuts
- Set oven to 175°C
- Mix the flour, butter and a pinch of salt into a soft dough. Add 2 tsp of cold water if needed.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Roughly chop the kale and boil it in water for a few mins.
- Drain and rinse the kale in cold water, and squeeze out all excess water.
- Finely chop the red onions and fry them in a frying pan with the kale and a little bit of butter.
- Roll out your pie crust, place it in an oven-proof dish, and bake it in the oven for 10 mins.
- Remove the pie crust once done, and put the fried kale and red onion on the pie crust.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and full-fat cream together.
- Grate the cheese and mix it with the egg and cream mixture.
- Pour the mixture on top of the kale and red onion.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and sprinkle them on top of the pie.
- Bake the pie in the oven for about 40 mins.